This week is National Flood Safety Awareness Week (March 16 – 22, 2014).
Did you know that floods are the #1 natural disaster in the US? Just within the past five years, all 50 states have experienced floods or flash floods.
How can you help?
Share these easy safety tips with your constituents on flood safety:
- Turn Around, Don’t Drown = #TADD (National safety campaign phrase)
Flash flooding can occur anywhere. If there is a possibility of a flash flood, move to higher ground. Always follow instructions from your local emergency service professionals.
- NEVER drive through flooded roads.
- Use local alerts and warning systems (like iPAWS and WEAs) which can send localized information about your immediate area.
- Stay away from damaged areas unless your assistance has been specifically requested by police, fire, or relief organization.
- Just a few inches of water from a flood can cause thousands of dollars in damages.
- Do you know if you live in a flood zone? Find out here for free.
So check your emergency preparedness kits and make sure you are ready!