So…this just happened to me.
Twitter will now track the activities from all your OTHER apps on your smart phone/tablet.
That’s right, Twitter will use:
- your FourSquare/Swarm geolocation data to target you for ads.
- your pictures to see what you take pictures of to target you for ads.
- your songs to see what music you listen to so they can target you for ads
- your Instagram photos to see who likes them so they can target ads to them.
- your airlines apps so they can serve you targeted ads on your flights
- your phone calls to see who/where you call so they can target ads to you/them.
You get the idea.
From Twitter’s EULA: “…collecting and occasionally updating the list of apps installed on your mobile device so we can deliver tailored content that you might be interested in.”
Creeped out? You know you can disable this feature through the Twitter app’s settings menu. Depending on the iOS:
- For iOS device users: disable this through setting —> account —-> privacy —-> “Tailor Twitter based on my apps.“
- For Android users: settings —-> account —-> other —-> “Tailor Twitter based on my apps.“
I get that Twitter would like to collect data with what I do using in the Twitter app. In fact, I expect it. However, I am a bit uncomfortable with Twitter collecting info from various other apps.
Not cool Twitter. Way to be that creepy Uncle.