Halloween is here in NE Ohio, and safety is still the most important part of the Halloween operation.
To aid in your shenanigans I mean Halloween activities, here are some tips for you and your family to use during trick-or-treat fun:
- Check your local newspaper, municipality’s website, or social media feed to get updates on times for trick-or-treating.
- Make sure you have several working flashlight and so that everyone traveling in your party can be seen.
- Only visit houses with porch lights that are turned on.
- Be vigilant while crossing the street – look both ways before you cross and ALWAYS company children.
- Stay in groups and keep an eye out for each other while trick-or-treating.
- Hopefully your costumes are bright and reflective. If not, consider affixing reflective stickers or buttons to your costume to make you more visible to motorists.
- Your costumes accessories should be made from soft pliable materials.
- Do not eat any candy until you return home to your parents.
- All parents should inspect and review all candy collected before allowing children to consume.
- Discard any candy that show signs of tampering and throw away any candy that is not sealed or in the original packaging.
- After you eat a ton of candy, don’t forget to brush your teeth.
If you are driving this Halloween season, DRIVE SLOWLY! Never text while driving – it is a distraction and likely illegal in many cities. Children will be out and about – so keep a sharp eye for everyone on the street.
Hope you have a fun Halloween this year.